Monday 20 June 2011

Luck be a lady tonight

I've just read yet another interesting blog by the ever-informative David Gaughran. Visit his blogsite.

The discussion following his blog was very interesting and I thought I'd add my comments to this blog.

A fascinating discussion. I guess that things are moving so fast nobody can be definitive about the field. It does, however, seem likely that those old fashioned qualities of hard-work, perseverance, seizing opportunities and using your brain to be creative will have some impact.

I like two things about e-publishing. The first is that, as one of the other commentators said, it gives people the opportunity to read your book. How great is that?

The second is that I feel I am in charge of my own destiny. It I have success it is chiefly due to me, together with the support of helpful people in this fantastic new community we are forging.

I also recall Thomas Jefferson's quote:
'I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.'

And if you're not having such a good day there is nothing more consoling than Jean Cocteau's comment,
'I believe in luck: how else can you explain the success of those you dislike?'




I'll also add that good research shows that the thing you need to do in order to improve your skills is to practise. I'll look up the quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment