Tuesday 22 November 2011

Who might I want to be?

Although I spent much of my youth dreaming up intricate day-dreams where I was some intrepid hero or plucky adventurer I have actually always been rather comfortable in my own skin.
However, I sometimes wonder who I might want to be if, by some chance, I woke up and was no longer myself.

After long deliberation I have decided that the only other person I would want to be is Gene Kelly. I love his films, particularly 'On the Town' and am captivated by his creative and inventive dance style.



He was a great choreographer as well as dancer although it seems that his perfectionism may have sometimes made him a tyrant.

I also like his liberal views and, especially, his opposition to the excesses of the McCarthy investigations.

I'm glad I'm not him, of course, and my dance style leaves much to be deserved. However, rather pleasingly, I can emulate Kelly's shuffle while looking contentedly up in the air. It's the closest I get to his genius.

If you weren't you, who would you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment